Picture
The Writer's Dig  March 5, 2013 | Guest Column Writer's Digest

I wrote a novel whose two main characters are lesbians.  This confuses some  people because I am not a lesbian.  Because I am also not a woman.  And because  I am not gay.

When I set out to write my novel, Finding Bluefield, I did not expect my main character to be a woman, much less for that woman to fall in love with another woman. But there I was, a straight man hooked by these two  characters, Nicky and Barbara, and their voices, and the story they wanted me to tell.  As I ventured into unfamiliar-for-me- situations, my characters, Nicky and Barbara, found themselves in 1960’s Virginia navigating unknown territory during a time when relationships like theirs were mostly hidden and often dangerous.

I couldn’t be more different than Nicky.  Nicky was a seventh generation Virginian whose family had farmed the same land for over 200 years.  For my part, I am a first generation US, born and raised in New York City by parents who spoke with thick accents and gave me a name other kids found impossible to
pronounce.  Add to that a vision condition that alienated others, and I was a poster child for “the outsider”.  But my character Nicky went abruptly from insider to outsider, harshly felt the rejection of her community, the unexpected exclusion from her family, and there we found common ground.  But, while both Nicky and I were angry, a bit surprises, and understandably frightened, she was never ashamed of who she was.  As a child, I was.  But if I had given any weight to specific details of what happened to me as a child I would never have let Nicky have the correct response for her and for the novel.

I’m not sure who started encouraging writers to “write about what you know”.  At first glance it seems to make sense. Why not write about what I know when I know so much?  When I’ve done so much?  When I’ve seen so much?  But the writing process disproves this theory because the story is always better served by the narrative that could happen, that should happen.

At the same time, writing about what I don’t know doesn’t mean I can’t use what I know.  I loved watching the first moon landing and there’s a scene in Finding Bluefield where Nicky, Barbara and their son Paul watch the first moon landing with their neighbors.  It took me a couple of passes to forget the
details of my memory and create something new.  Something within the reality of my characters.  Something I didn’t know.

In Finding Bluefield I wrote about characters who are different from me by gender, race, background, and religion.  There’s that risk of getting everything wrong.  But isn’t that where the fun is?  Making things up?  Finding the truth in the unknown?  It’s not always easy or comfortable, but I’ve learned to trust
my characters and I’ve learned that the story truth is found in writing into the unknown.

In an early draft of the novel, I wanted Nicky to name her son Leroy, the name of her co-worker who told her about the bus tickets to the March on Washington—which is where she got pregnant.  It seemed like a fitting gesture, a noble tribute.  But it was a really bad idea and Nicky would never have thought it, let alone considered it.  The mere hint that Leroy, a Black man, was in any way connected to her pregnancy in 1963 Virginia would have been had very bad consequences for Leroy and Nicky.  Naming her son Paul after his grandfather was really the only name Nicky would have considered because she wanted her son to be accepted as a member of the community she grew up in.

When I trust my characters to decide what must happen, I give myself opportunities to stumble onto the unexpected truth, the accidental truth, the story truth, which is so much more interesting than my memory truth.  It doesn’t always go as planned.  At one point, I wanted Nicky to ask her friend Andy to marry her and raise Paul with her in order to allow her stay in Bluefield.  Andy would have done it if I insisted.  Clearly, this would have been a betrayal of Barbara and of Andy of Paul, and most of all, of Nicky.  The novel would have been a different and it may have worked but it would not have been Nicky’s story.  Instead, in that scene with Andy, Nicky portrays her panic, her naiveté, and her unconditional love for Andy.

Maybe the real distinction, and I imagine this is true for many fiction writers, is that all my writing is autobiographical—in that it comes from me—but it’s not biographical, because it’not about me.

In the end, if readers are able to connect with Finding Bluefield, it’s going to be through the essence of my characters’ humanity and the truth behind who they are and where they are going.

The obvious question is how do I know what I don’t know?  The answer is that I don’t.  I just write into unfamiliar territory and see what happens because I know that’s where the answers lie.  Sometimes I get lost.  Sometimes I get sidetracked.  If I’m lucky I find my way.  But the journey, yes the journey, is
always worth it.

Comments

10/03/2014 6:12pm

No development is possible without the help of education so it has gained a lot of importance in all the countries of the world especially after seeing the countries developed due to the power of education.

09/03/2015 4:33am

Writing something that you do not have knowledge of is actually the start of a learning journey. You get to research and understand what you do not know. The process is like filling your empty brain with something new. It is such a delight because you widen your understanding. It is learning at its purest form where no bias has preoccupied your mind. I think we should approach education with an empty mind – when we want to learn something, we must absorb what we can and discern the information we have gathered.

01/22/2015 8:25am

However do you don’t be foul writers? Inadequate writing is sluggish reckless writing and makes an attempt to attach while not ample coming up with.

Creating an institute record can be completely despicable for some in on fire of the fact that this is your coming upon to confirm the specialists what you are created of. The institute instructors catch sworn statement up high frill and on the off unusual that you can put out that one that makes them sit up and pay notice again you can see yourself as genuine successful.

this is the link to get free brave game hacks and secrets tool for 2015.this is the link to the website of free gems and coins.

now this is possible to get free gems and coins of brave frontier game .i had got free cheats tool from this website.grab them now.

05/28/2015 1:48am

But the writing process disproves this theory because the story is always better served by the narrative that could happen, that should happen.

Thanks for this nice post.Love it.

12/04/2015 2:15am

Electronics Engineering Assignment Help Assignment and Online Homework Help Electronics Engineering Assignment Help Electronic Equipment is an area in which students face lots of issues in order to understand some issues of it.

12/04/2015 2:32am

Our website is number 1 in Auditing Assignment Help and Auditing Homework Help. This is preferred destination for various students to get their Audit Projects and Homework Done.

12/04/2015 2:47am

Our website is number 1 in C# Assignment Help. This is preferred destination for various students to get their C# (C Sharp) Projects and Homework Done. CSharpAid.com is easily the number 1 destination to get C #, C Sharp programming help.

Physics Homework Help is available for Physics Projects and Homework and assignments.

12/04/2015 6:29am

Our website is number in Statistics/ Stats homework help. This is preferred destination for various students to get their Statistics assignment help taken from.

12/14/2015 5:22am

if you will click at the link here you can get free starcoins and diamonds free.

01/03/2016 7:39am

Would there by ages to ages charges? What are the ages to ages costs payable to banks? Is it actuating to pay included packages continually? Could this included money paid at whatever time? Powers a giving approach that can heading you acceptance these courses of action.

Thanks for share that type blog. Many people like that blogs.

Nice Blog share. I like your post....

01/24/2016 10:24am

It can be interesting if you have a great fantasy potential)

02/12/2016 12:47am

Nice Blog share. I like your post...

02/12/2016 12:49am

Thanks for this nice post.Love it.

Thanks for share that type blog. Many people like that blogs.

Thanks for share that type blog

03/05/2016 6:38am

I couldn’t be more different than Nicky. Nicky was a seventh generation Virginian whose family had farmed the same land for over 200 years. For my part, I am a first generation US, born and raised in New York City by parents who spoke with thick accents and gave me a name other kids found impossible to

03/19/2016 1:14am

Good Luck Guys

It's a bit difficult to write about it.

04/07/2016 3:29pm

On the off adventitious that you accept poor to no acclaim as an after aftereffect of your money accompanying condition, and acquisition that you can't bribery the change you will be bare of your vehicle, and instead of accepting the accommodation to abate your devotion, you will abatement into abundantly added obligation. Alpha now, the adherence abutment alive affairs will be absolutely accomplished with you.

04/09/2016 7:17am

Its really an amazing post i like it very much

Comments are closed.